Saturday, March 10, 2012

Moebius Mead.





Today I was fortunate to see the work of one my artistic heroes Syd Mead at his Progressions show at the Forest Lawn Museum. It was fantastic to see his work up close. As I've mentioned in past blogs experiencing art in person is different than looking at a series of jpegs. I found an even deeper respect for Mead by seeing the amount of detail that goes into every single aspect of his paintings while still maintaining fantastic compositions and of course innovative designs. It's fantastic when you think how great his work is on so many levels. The kicker for me was seeing some of Mead's earliest work. Not yet the master he would become but still clearly an amazing talent. The exhibit is free so if you are in the LA area make some time to get up there and have a look. I also recommend watching the documentary on Syd Mead. I ran into it a few years back and I find myself watching it at least once a year for inspiration and to get back to why I do art.


In other news. It saddens me deeply to hear another of my artistic heroes Jean Giraud aka Moebius has passed away. I don't know where to start in terms of how important an artist I think he was and is. His imagination and his ability to create worlds is unlike any other. He was a master on so many levels, painter, storyboard artist, cartoonist, concept artist, comic book artist. He did it all well and with originality. His contributions to Blade Runner, Alien, Metal Hurlant, Airtight Garage, Blueberry are legendary.

To say I will miss his work is a bit of an understatement. It makes me realize how important it is to celebrate the artists we love and respect when they are alive. We will always have their body of work but we will not have them forever.


-Karl

No comments: