Sunday, May 08, 2011

Free Comic Book Day Recap


Yesterday was Free Comic Book Day and I spent it at Geoffrey's Comics doing sketches for Comic fans. As a kid I worked at Geoffrey's Comics and even though the location and the faces have changed I still feel like it's the place where I first learned to love the art form of comics and met a lot of the friends I still have today.

I arrived at the store before 10 am and there was already a line around the building with kids and Comic fans eager to get some free comics! My nephew Jack road shotgun and the always hilarious and super talented Michael O'Hare double teamed the line of sketch hungry Comic fans. We drew for four hours straight. (South Bay representing!!!) The most amount of requests were for Captain America, Deadpool, Wolverine and various characters from the Kick Ass Comic. Sold some of my sketchbooks and did some of my better sketches of the day on the back of them. I wish I would have snapped a few shots of the better ones. I did a Two Face a Hobgoblin and a Joker I was happy with.
(to get one of the few remaining copies I have of sketchbook click here: Future Flashback Sketchbook

Midway through my good friend Dave Riddick showed up with his sons and fun was had by all. Unfortunately Captain Greedy aka Geoffrey Patterson could not make it because he is sick and recovering in the hospital. Customers of the store signed a huge get well card and everyone gave their well wishes to his son Geoffrey Jr. who now runs the store. Saw some familiar faces from back in the day and had a good time meeting the Comic fans and spreading the Comic book gospel.

As creators we meet readers at conventions which gives us one type of perspective on the industry. I think interacting with fans in the Comic Book stores is a lot different because the Comic store is the front line of the industry. It's where the rubber meets the road in terms of selling Comics and converting people to your work and to the art form. For me talking to the readers and learning what they like and what they are buzzing about was much food for thought. I recommend FCBD it to every creator/self publisher. You meet the fans, you work with the retailers and you have a great time.

-Karl

No comments: