Friday, May 06, 2011

BLAST Palette 01

For years I struggled with painting and coloring. Mainly because I couldn't separate the color theory from the ideas that going into the rendering (like and shadow/texture). Once I moved them into two schools of thought...coloring became easier to understand. It's still something I'm working on and trying to get better at so I thought it would be fun to share one of my tricks with you. For me coloring can be approached as a graphic design problem. How do I pick the right color combo for my design. In some respects I believe the right color combos, keyed to the emotion of the piece is more important than the rendering.

I keep a palette of color combos that I can pull from no matter what rendering style I use. With a few tweaks I created some combos I plan to use on future BLAST pieces. I have provided them as a download for you to experiment with along with some line art of the original BLAST piece.
Have fun!


-Karl

PS you can buy a limited edition print of BLAST here: BLAST limited edition print






No comments: