Friday, February 29, 2008

And the Winner is...

I just got done reading all the top ten submissions again and I have to say.




This was really tough.




I applaud the amount of work that went into all the submissions as well as the heartfelt emails that accompanied them. I learned a lot from this contest because it reminded me of the determination and emotion that goes into creative work. No matter if it's writing, drawing, painting or underwater basket weaving. Art is important to the person creating it and I think in a larger sense their ability to use their artwork to communicate with the outside world. In the end I hope with this little contest I can help someone reach that next level of communication and spread their ideas to a broader audience. Most of all I hope there is no disappointment for the those who didn't win. As cliche' as it sounds I think everyone who sent in a submission is a winner because they expressed their creativity.


In the last week or so I've received a few angry emails from people who didn't get their submission in before the deadline. I don't really know what to say about that other than I did this for fun and with good intentions. As I've mentioned in past updates I received so many submissions that at some point I had to stop accepting new ones. If I has not set a deadline I wouldn't have had the time to read each submission and give them the time they deserved. No hard feelings please.



As for what went into the choosing the winner. I would have to say the clarity of the story was the biggest issue for me. The ability for me to visualize the story from reading the page and the emotional content of the story. All of the top ten had these elements. One of these stories I felt had the entire package and stood just little bit higher than the rest.


So..



The Winner of the 1st "You Write It And I Will Draw It" contest is:









With Naked Eyes
Ben Gilboa




Congratulations Ben!





I'm going to hold another one of these later this year. I'm thinking end of summer. Check back to see how the art for the story develops.



If you have any thoughts or questions about the contest feel free to email me.


Thanks again to all the writers. Keep writing peeps!!!



All the best,

Karl

No comments: