Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Revenge of The Non-Creates

I wrote a blog a month or so ago..called "Non-Creates"

it's located here

http://karlaltstaetter.blogspot.com/2005/08/non-creates.html

sorry for the cut and paste..but I don't have the links in the page/blog thing figured out...

The basic idea of the first post was that as creative people we are more and more asked to copy things rather than create things as well as deal with the overall lack of vision in the corporate/creative world...

I got some feedback from some other artists and here is my reply to them...

and if you have followed all that and you are still reading..god bless you and I hope you enjoy the read


Revenge of the Non-Creates Or the Debate Strikes Back

This is a bit of a ramble...but

I get what you are saying and I agree with the “investors/money first” mentality is running shit.

I understand that as a huge company it’s a numbers game.

They want the most money from whatever they produce and they want the best chance for it to make money.

Which is sound business...

...but at the same time they are not developing anything new or developing the creative voices of the artists. Which it seems most corporate people have forgotten is the basis for all their merchandising and profit sources..

you can’t make video games and underwear and action figures and backpacks off of a concept nobody likes and or does not exist....so as much as they want a sure thing..they need to spend the money to develop the talent and the ideas to get them those larger properties..

The Sponge Bobs
The Teen Titans
The Harry Potters..

people dig those for a reason..they are good well executed ideas...

At some point an artist or a group of artists had to create them...

It’s like the egg before the chicken...I see it as these companies don’t exist unless we as artists create things they can sell...and to create something that really is the best it can be..you need to take a creative risk...

How many times have you seen some shit on TV and said “damn that shits weak as hell”...or “I’ve seen some Anime shit that tears this up”...
You know what’s good..but how often do you really get good shit?

I think people are starving for interesting new material..but the corporate cat’s have the avenues of distribution sewn up. It’s the same in music..it’s the same in comics...(look at the discount structure with Diamond..it’s anti indie)

...but if Harry Potter proved anything..if you do something good people will show up for it. Before that came along..people were saying “kid’s don’t read..they just want video games”..or “kid’s won’t like that..it’s got too many characters..or too much story”...

The truth is these producers/art director/corporate cats...just don’t know what’s good...they don’t follow their instincts because they don’t have any...That’s not even a diss on them..they just don’t have their ear to the ground..they don’t follow creative shit to it’s source...they just follow what’s floating on the surface...and by that time it’s over..it’s already been done..

it’s following a trend..not setting one...

I remember pitching one of my comics as an animated TV series..and the producer was talking to me about it like I didn’t create it...Telling me about “the world” and dropping all those handy producer buzz words they have....

...and that was the first time I saw how these producers see the game..

They see the artist as expendable once they get your concept...they don’t want to develop the talent to get a wealth of ideas..they just want the ideas so they can exploit it..there is no true creative partnership...they want your idea for the least amount of money and the least amount of your involvement...

and for the artist ..they are trying to make a buck off something they created so they are forced to play ball..

But what artist want's to be "one and done"...a creative one hit wonder...but just like the music industry..they don't see a value in long term development of talent..."Why should we contribute to their equity"..as I heard one corporate peep say it...


I heard a rap lyric where this cat said..he’s thinking about how he could be the best MC on the underground..but all it gets him is a ride on the train...you don’t get paid for being a good artist...you get paid if you help them make money...

That being said..I’m still going to come out with my own concepts... because for me..It’s a source of pride and if ten people show up or ten thousand..I’m still going to say the stuff I want to say...
I think in the future through the internet..print on demand and shit like that..you are going to be able to make a living creating stuff and distributing directly to the consumer...

That’s why I like My Space..and blogs..it’s puts you in direct contact with other artists and people who appreciate art...it puts the distribution of your art in your hands..and I’m all about that.

...but in the meantime..I’m hold’n down the the 9-5 for the man...

but he don’t know what I got planned...

hehehe

KA-lifornia

Email me!