Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Karl the Red Nosed Blogger/Everyone Thinks They Are A DJ


Keeping in the holiday spirit I must say my nose is glowing red.

I've been sick for three days now...

runny nose

coughs

sore throat...

headache...

in bad shape in general.


I think I have hit the wall in terms of blogging.

I have little ideas on new stuff to write..but it does not seem to fully form...

I think I am going to take some time off from blogging and live a little.

hopefully when I come back I'll have a new perspective and new stuff to write...

also most of the things I want to talk about are covered in other places..

message boards and the like...

Who knows I could wake up tomorrow and have all kinds of shit to say...and my farewell blogs will be just a prologue to my next bunch of newer more interesting blogs..

or maybe that's the cold medicine talking...



The Web has changes so much in the last couple of years. It's really become much more personal.

there are so many tools to find like minded people.

message boards and sites and My Space it gives the individual so much more promotional power it's insane.

As if the sites and sounds we are bombared with by Global Nationals was not enough.

..now we have every kid from Singapore to Kansas selling us an idea or concept or a t-shirt or an mp3..

the upsides of this new swell of previously unheard voices is that some new and interesting ones will shine through.

rise above..

and be noticed..

but the dark side...is everyone thinks they are a DJ

When I say that..I mean..everyone who can arrange a playlist and post it somewhere thinks they are the next Sasha..

or the any person that can scan a drawing and post it somewhere thinks they are the next Range Murata...

Sad to say...

that's not true

but it's like reality TV...if someone is on TV long enough some group of people will build a following around them...

such is they way of the Web..if you post enough stuff enough times..some group of people will build a web page about you...

This does not mean you are good...

it's like a Britney Spears song...the more they play it ..no matter how bad it is....you begin to hear it in your head..
no wonder Sony and Warner Brothers have lawsuits over payola against them..

the more you see or hear it..the more legitimate it becomes...

no accounting for taste...


I guess for me I wonder were is the craftsmanship.

Where is the hard times you spend learning your craft and building your abilites...

Have I landed in an era where everything is on fast forward..and that time is cut in half or less...

Do artists just "get it" faster or do we live in a time of one trick ponys and artists who put fame before the message..

Has it become more important to promote yourself over saying something with your work...

Why tell your own story or speak your mind when you can just hijack someone elses ideas and put a new spin on them...

regurgitating old ideas has worked for the Globe Nats for awile...


so has it trickled down to the individual artist...is this generation just a sequel...

a part 2...

the middle bit of a trilogy...

Have we taken the gift of art as communication and sold it out for a little bit of notariety...

was that the plan all along?

You tell me the answer...

while you still have a voice to answer it with.


KA-lifornia


PS

Death Face is a colab I did with B.Kan part of the 2many faces project Cabal/Virtual Remix show