Saturday, October 08, 2005

Digital Chop Suey





I finally purchased that Carlos Meglia Superman Infinite City graphic novel.

It was pricey..but I really like his work.

He used a combo of digital and non digital art styles.

I think he was going for an animation look...but I think it ended up looking a bit like chop suey...

a few too many Photoshop paste-ins for my taste.

In some ways it's suffers from what the current batch of Masamune Shirow art suffers from.

A little too much digital.

I'm all for pushing the art-form forward with the computer...but sometimes I would like to see Shirow do one of those great Blade Runner city shots he had going in Appleseed...instead of the texture mapped 3d studio max thing he's got going..

As for the Meglia Supes book..I think this is one step for him. I think his next books will be that much better because he tried this step in a new direction...



In other news...

Here's some new designs for THE SKILLZ (c) Karl Altstaetter

I'm really enjoying the coloring more than the drawings these days...

Back to lab...


KA-lifornia