Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Creative Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste

The good Lord knows I’m a creative cat.

I hang with other creative cats.

I hear stories…

I see injustice…

I have come to understand that the corporate world relies heavily on creative to get their message across…

…but they care very little for the creative people that make it possible.


I’ve noticed that there is almost a sense of hostility for the “creatives”

It’s a fat dose “who do you think you are?”

With a side order of “you are lucky to be doing what you do”

Contrary to popular belief…most artist/creatives do what they do to survive.

They don’t mock up your corporate bullshit for kicks….

Trust me....

.... making your ideas a reality is not a “lucky” job…



...it’s a sideshow in hell!

Nothing is worse than the dreaded

“I’ll know it when I see it” style of art direction.

Or even better “…how about you try it 20 different ways" so I can settle on the first idea you showed me

That zinger is often dealt right after my personal favorite

“We don’t have much of a budget and we are really pressed for time”

No wonder you are pressed for time…you can’t make up your mind!!!


The other misconception about artists is that they live to get their ego stroked.


Just because we ask who owns what we create and we like to get paid and get credit for our hard work does not constitute egomania.


Newsflash bucko!!!

Most artists get off on creating something new and different.

Pushing the envelope.

That’s the juice..

Keep that in mind next time you tell them how much you like their work and than ask them to redo the entire job they just completed and to mimic the style of another artist.

Trust me they will notice.

I’ll let you in on a secret.

If you want to motivate and get the best out of your creative staff.

Try inspiring them…

Give them an artistic challenge.

Let them have input…

RESPECT is not just a song by Aretha Franklyn..

it's the way you should treat the artists you work with.

Let the artist do what they do best…let them be creative and show their skills.


The upside is you will get a stronger presentation that will wow people with it’s creativity and innovation.

Not to mention you will have a creative person that is happy and willing to give their best


...and wouldn’t that be cool

KA-lifornia

Email me!